Following Directions to Make a Tangram
Guided reading strategies are utilized to teach students how to effectively read informational text. Challenged to cut a tangram, students read how-to directions and demonstrate their understanding of geometric terms to complete the task successfully. The directions are written on a second grade level. However, students will need background knowledge on specialized geometry terms in order to complete this lesson.
Alignment of this item to academic standards is based on recommendations from content creators, resource curators, and visitors to this website. It is the responsibility of each educator to verify that the materials are appropriate for your content area, aligned to current academic standards, and will be beneficial to your specific students.
- The student reads informational texts for specific purposes (including but not limited to performing a task, learning a new task, sequentially carrying out the steps of a procedure, locating information to answer a question).
- The student knows congruent shapes.
- The student identifies shapes that can be combined or separated (for example, a rectangle can be separated into two triangles).
- This is Lesson 8 – Could You Please Give Me Directions?; Component – Guided Reading Lessons 1 – 6 are for Day 1 of the unit Geo Jammin’ By DeSign Lessons 7 – 11 are for Day 2 of the unit Geo Jammin’ By DeSign Lessons 12 – 17 are for Day 3 of the unit Geo Jammin’ By DeSign Lessons 18 – 23 are for Day 4 of the unit Geo Jammin’ By DeSign Lessons 24 – 28 are for Day 5 of the unit Geo Jammin’ By DeSign Lessons 29 – 32 are for Day 6 of the unit Geo Jammin’ By DeSign. Lessons 33 – 38 are for Day 7 of the unit Geo Jammin’ By DeSign.
- Lessons may reflect modifications of, but are designed in conjunction with the Reading Framework approach to classroom instruction and may be adapted to the Four Block Classroom. 2)The Beacon Unit Plan associated with this lesson can be viewed by clicking on the link located at the top of this page or by using the following URL: http://www.beaconlearningcenter.com/search/details.asp?item=3004. Once you select the unit’s link, scroll to the bottom of the unit plan page to find the section, Associated Files. This section contains links to the Unit Plan Overview, Diagnostic and Summative Assessments, and other associated files (if any).
- An ample supply of 6 x 6 inch squares of colored construction paper
- Scissors for each student
- Printed copies of the directions for cutting a tangram
- Marker for adding Tangram to the word board
- Print and prepare Literacy Link page to send home