Biography Research and Topic Acquisition
This lesson asks students to develop a topic for a biography project and cultivate research skills based on library resources. Please note this lesson needs to be done in the library and support from the librarian would be useful. This lesson is appropriate for teaching the research process as well as exploring biographies. The students learn how to use the library effectively and discern what information is useful for the activity. Also, this lesson involves an interactive game to engage reluctant students.
Alignment of this item to academic standards is based on recommendations from content creators, resource curators, and visitors to this website. It is the responsibility of each educator to verify that the materials are appropriate for your content area, aligned to current academic standards, and will be beneficial to your specific students.
- Students will be able to define biography topic - a person who has made an impact on the world.
- Students will be able to find research materials and practice strategies for obtaining and using information from resources.
Materials & Sources:
- reference materials in the library
- personal biographies examples
- volume sets such as "Current Biography," "Newsmakers," "Contemporary Musicians"
- anticipatory set Trivia
- stations scavenger hunt - questions to use and practice strategies for searching