In the spring of 2012, the Aileron sculpture was installed in McCabe Park. This is the former location of the McConnell airfield. The sculpture represents the biplane of the early 20th century. It was fabricated by artist Michael Dillon using traditional blacksmithing techniques and tools that were used in the manufacturing of railroad equipment—another historic reference to Sylvan Park.
- Cite specific textual evidence to support analysis of primary and secondary sources.
- Trace and evaluate the argument and specific claims in a text, assessing whether the reasoning is sound and the evidence is relevant and sufficient...
- Cite specific textual evidence to support analysis of science and technical texts.
- Determine the central ideas or conclusions of a text; provide an accurate summary of the text distinct from prior knowledge or opinions.
- Present claims and findings, emphasizing salient points in a focused, coherent manner with pertinent descriptions, facts, details, and examples; use...
- Write arguments to support claims with clear reasons and relevant evidence.
- Write informative/explanatory texts to examine a topic and convey ideas, concepts, and information through the selection, organization, and analysis...
- Draw evidence from literary or informational texts to support analysis, reflection, and research.
- Compute unit rates associated with ratios of fractions, including ratios of lengths, areas and other quantities measured in like or different...
- Recognize and represent proportional relationships between quantities.
- GLE 0707.T/E.1
- Explore how technology responds to social, political, and economic needs.
Alignment of this item to academic standards is based on recommendations from content creators, resource curators, and visitors to this website. It is the responsibility of each educator to verify that the materials are appropriate for your content area, aligned to current academic standards, and will be beneficial to your specific students.
The websites in the interactive reading sections can be adjusted to different websites on students reading levels or the questions from the reading can be adjusted.
The product can be adjusted to meet the students’ needs. The product can be less open-ended and provide guided questions for students who need the scaffolding.