Science 6-8 DNA
Science 6-8 DNA
- Cite specific textual evidence to support analysis of science and technical texts.
- Determine the central ideas or conclusions of a text; provide an accurate summary of the text distinct from prior knowledge or opinions.
- Distinguish among facts, reasoned judgment based on research findings, and speculation in a text.
- Write arguments focused on discipline-specific content.
- Produce clear and coherent writing in which the development, organization, and style are appropriate to task, purpose, and audience.
Alignment of this item to academic standards is based on recommendations from content creators, resource curators, and visitors to this website. It is the responsibility of each educator to verify that the materials are appropriate for your content area, aligned to current academic standards, and will be beneficial to your specific students.
Essential and guiding questions:
- What evidence does the author provide to support the idea that DNA can be compared to a ladder?
- After reading the passage that illustrates the connection between traits and genes, explain that connection in your own words, citing evidence from the text.
- The author makes a claim that mutations result in diseases; do mutations always result in disease? Why or why not?
- Support your claim with evidence from the text.
Blooms taxonomy level:
Scaffolding and support for special education students, English language learners, and struggling readers:
- Students with learning difficulties can be paired with seat partners who can read and perform at a higher level. These partners can then be available for prompting and peer editing purposes.
- Portions of the article are already chunked into smaller sizes for close reading exercises.
- Essential vocabulary is identified by italics within the article; a list of these terms can be provided in addition to the article.
- This list will allow the students to be certain that they are placing the appropriate emphasis on the relevant terms.
This task would be appropriate for a 7th grade science course. The following standards are addressed:
- GLE 0707.4.3 Explain the relationship among genes, chromosomes, and inherited traits.
- SPI 0707.4.3 Describe the relationship among genes, chromosomes, and inherited traits.