This lesson uses scientific texts to teach students 3 ways to define and comprehend unfamiliar vocabulary. Exposes students to scientific texts and helps them gain an understanding of difficult texts.
- CLE 3001.1.2
- Employ a variety of strategies and resources to determine the definition, pronunciation, etymology, spelling, and usage of words and phrases.
- CLE 3002.1.2
- Employ a variety of strategies and resources to determine the definition, pronunciation, etymology, spelling, and usage of words and phrases
Alignment of this item to academic standards is based on recommendations from content creators, resource curators, and visitors to this website. It is the responsibility of each educator to verify that the materials are appropriate for your content area, aligned to current academic standards, and will be beneficial to your specific students.
- Identify definitions within scientific writing.
- Analyze the definitions and identify "clues" inside sentences that tell the reader a definition follows.
Blooms taxonomy level:
- Student access to the Internet
- Classroom projector or TV monitor