ELA 4-5 Roberto Clemente
Common Core State Standards for English Language Arts: K-12 Close Reading Task
Alignment of this item to academic standards is based on recommendations from content creators, resource curators, and visitors to this website. It is the responsibility of each educator to verify that the materials are appropriate for your content area, aligned to current academic standards, and will be beneficial to your specific students.
- What were the reasons implied in the text for the boys to be playing with cans and broomsticks instead of bats and balls?
- Using evidence from the text discuss some of the life lessons Roberto learned from his father.-Using details from the text, explain why the year 1954 not a happy time for Roberto.
- Using context clues from the text determine the meaning of “Puerto Rican hotdog”. Explain using details why Roberto was called that?
- What point according to the text was Roberto trying to make when he left the furniture store without buying anything?
- Citing evidence from the text, why didn’t people think he could get 3,000 hits in the 1972 season?
- What details from the text show the reader that the other players are hoping Roberto gets his 3000th hit?
- In what way does the text imply that Roberto’s father was a role model for Roberto?
- How does the title of this story let the reader know how people felt about Roberto?
Scaffolding and support for special education students, English language learners, and struggling readers:
Struggling readers would be supported through smaller group size, possible peer tutoring, and preloading vocabulary/concepts.