Create a Poetry Calendar
This site offers multiple lesson plans featuring multiple grade levels: k-2;3-5;6-8;9-12. This particular lesson emphasizes a collaborative research project for the class to choose five poets born in a selected month and create a classroom calendar incorporating research found on the internet. Excellent strategy for on-going collaboration and peer review.
- GLE 0801.4.2
- Gather relevant information from a variety of print and electronic sources, as well as from direct observation, interviews, and surveys.
Alignment of this item to academic standards is based on recommendations from content creators, resource curators, and visitors to this website. It is the responsibility of each educator to verify that the materials are appropriate for your content area, aligned to current academic standards, and will be beneficial to your specific students.
- research print and online resources to learn about five famous poets born in a particular month;
- read 1-2 poems by each of the five poets;
- create a school-year calendar based on the work of famous poets.
- work together to choose a cover design for the calendar.
- Wall calendar for display and demonstration (optional)
- Student access to computer(s) with Internet access
- Web sites for research: The Writer's Almanac (Scroll to bottom and choose each week of the assigned month from the drop down menu under Archive); Books and Writers (Choose a month from the list of numbers on the left, and then click each writer's name on the far right to locate poets with birthdays that month).