Painting Places with Words
After discussing the famous and fluent opening that launches Steinbeck's Of Mice and Men, small groups of writers impersonate the description by applying Steinbeck's paragraph's verbs and sentence structures to a different setting.
Students will model Steinbeck's style, use graphic organizers, and compose their own descriptions. Other writers worth impersonating for more mature student writers are Leonard Pitts, Martin Luther King, Jr., Rick Reilly, and Farley Mowatt
- CLE 3003.3.1
- Write in a variety of modes, with particular emphasis on persuasion, for different purposes and audiences.
- CLE 3003.3.2
- Employ various prewriting strategies.
- GLE 0206.2.1
- Understand and use place value concepts to 1000.
- GLE 0206.2.2
- Understand and use the base-ten numeration system.
- GLE 0206.2.3
- Use efficient and accurate strategies to develop fluency with multi-digit addition and subtraction.
Alignment of this item to academic standards is based on recommendations from content creators, resource curators, and visitors to this website. It is the responsibility of each educator to verify that the materials are appropriate for your content area, aligned to current academic standards, and will be beneficial to your specific students.