The Fostering Language Development in a Pre-K Classroom learning module is designed for educators to use independently or with a professional learning community as a literacy study. The information in this learning module encourages early childhood educators to consider the impact that daily conversation with young children has on literacy development.
The Ayers Institute is excited to offer this FREE, online learning module. Upon completion of the module, educators receive a certificate for 6 hours of literacy professional learning which has been approved for credit with Tennessee Department of Human Services (DHS).
What you will learn
After completing this module, participants will be able to:
- Understand the impact that foundational language development has on early literacy.
- Examine how to support vocabulary development and establish an environment full of language development opportunities.
- Identify and describe intentional questioning strategies for fostering language development and critical thinking skills.
- Articulate the connection between repeated read-aloud and vocabulary development.
- Apply vocabulary instruction strategies to a read-aloud lesson to be used in the classroom.
This learning module is offered online through the e3 Courses learning website that is operated by the Ayers Institute for Teacher Learning and Innovation. The learning is self-paced, so you can move at your own speed through the material. The learning module is non-facilitated, meaning there is no instructor actively evaluating the students. Instead, there are periodic online quizzes to assess your level of understanding. After demonstrating understanding in all the principles, you will be able to download a personalized certificate of completion of the learning module.
Time to complete: Self-paced. The total estimated work time for 4 principles and a summative assignment is 6-8 hours.
Materials: Learning resources include textual readings, audio recordings, videos, discussion forums, and online quizzes.
Price: FREE for the non-facilitated version of this learning modules.
Professional learning credit: This learning module has been approved by the Tennessee Department of Human Services (DHS) for 6 hours of literacy professional learning credit.
To participate in the online learning module, educators must:
- Register a user account on e3 Courses, and
- Enroll in the Fostering Language Development in a Pre-K Classroom course.
After enrolling in the course, you can access it on the e3 Courses online learning platform. The Fostering Language Development in a Pre-K Classroom online learning module is found within the Pre-K course category on the home page of e3 Courses. You must login to e3 Courses to access the content of this online learning module.
Questions and support
If you have additional questions or need support with the online learning module, please contact the Ayers Institute for Teacher Learning & Innovation by e-mail to [email protected].